Q. What books are recommended for fifth and sixth classes at primary level?
Choosing a book for 5th and 6th class is an important but challenging task as the focus is to promote a positive reading experience for children with a diverse range of interests. The following list of books represents recommended reads that have been tried and tested by Irish primary teachers.
1. Bill and Fred, by John Quinn
2. Cherokee, by Creina Mansfield
3. Deep Water, by Anne Turnbull
4. Faraway Home, by Marilyn Taylor
5. Goodnight Mr. Tom, by Michelle Magorian
6. Holes, by Louis Sachar
7. I am David, Anne Holm
8. Point Blanc, Anthony Horrowitz
9. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, by Mildred Taylor
10. Spy Dog, by Andrew Cope
11. The Boy in the Striped Pjs, by John Boyne
12. The Guns of Easter, by Gerard Whelan
13. The Strongbow Saga, by Judson Roberts
14. The Wreck of Zanzibar, by Michael Morpurgo
15. Under the Hawthorn Tree, by Marita Conlon-McKenna
16. Riding Out the Hurricane, by Maeve Mc Mahon, (includes teachers' notes)
Sites to help you choose.
Reading matters Book Chooser
Whether it's adventure or romance this bookchooser helps readers find what they are looking for.
Books for 10-15 yr olds reviewed by 10-15yr olds.
Database of International children's book.