Site of the Week: Sumdog
What is the site about?
Free maths games designed to improve numeracy. Sumdog's maths games are free to play, either at home or at school. They cover 100 numeracy topics, split into 10 levels.
Why was it chosen as site of the week?
- March 1st is World Maths Day
- The site is visually stunning, engaging and extremely interactive
- It contains lots of sound and visual stimuli
- It encourages active and investigative learning
- The site is easy to use
- Games include: race cars, shoot aliens, play soccer and sing on stage
- Because the games are so engaging, students can enjoy developing their numeracy skills
- Most games are multiplayer, so you can play against thousands of students worldwide
- It is suitable for all levels of primary, and junior levels of post primary
- The site contains a teachers section: create a school account, upload your class, create competitions for your students, set challenges for your students.
How can it be used as an educational resource?
Free registration is required.
The website can be used to reinforce prior learning, providing a fun way to test knowledge. The games can also be used by pupils at home. The ability to upload your class groups allows teachers to create competitions and challenges for pupils. (There is also a subscription option where you can get class reports)
Site of the Week Archive>>