PhET - Interactive Simulations
What is the site about?
Interactive Science Simulations: Fun, interactive, research-based simulations of physical phenomena from the PhET project at the University of Colorado.
Why was it chosen as site of the week?
- Relevant content for many of the Science subjects
- Website is very interactive and clear
- Plenty of interesting activities and interactions to engage students
- Simulations can be played online or downloaded to use later
- The full website can be downloaded and installed on a computer, so that you don't have to be online all the time
- Students can access materials/simulations from home
- PhET is on facebook, twitter and has a blog - all updated regularly
- Pdf with ideas for post primary use in various subjects
How can it be used as an educational resource?
Because there are so many relevant simulations, this website can be used for demonstration purposes for a variety of topics.
The simulations can be used to explain/demonstrate theories or topics as data can be changed by the user (be sure Java is enabled/up-to-date). As they are interactive, student involvement or self-directed learning can be encouraged. The simulations normally have Sample Learing Goals, so studnets know what they should be doing.
Site of the Week Archive>>