At the reopening of the GPO in 1929 after 13 years in ruins, O’Sullivan’s status as flag-raiser in 1916 was confirmed in the presence of a majority of TDs and Senators.
After a speech by the President of the Executive Council, W.T. Cosgrave, the tricolour was hoisted, amid applause, by O’Sullivan.
This time, it was not to the echo of rioters or bullets, but to the strains of buglers sounding a general salute as the flag was raised to the flag-post.
Significantly a silhouette picture of O’Sullivan in the Irish Independent is the nearest approximation we have to the original event.