The following applet can be used to explore the net of a Cone and it's surface area formula.
1) What shape is the base of the cone?
2) What shape is the lateral surface of the cone?
3) What are the radii of the 2 shapes in terms of r, h and slant height?
4) What is the relationship between the circumference of the base and the arc length of the lateral surface?
5) What are the formulas for arc length and area of the lateral surface in term of the slant height?
6) What is the formula for arc length of the lateral surface in term of r?
7) What is the formula for arc length of the lateral surface in term of r and slant height?
8) Using the answers to questions 4, 5, and 6 can you derive the formula found on our reference sheet for surface area of a cone?
To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or other web browser.
To register for a Scoilnet Account you will need to have a Teaching Council number and a roll number for your school in Ireland.
If you already have a Scoilnet Account then you can sign in here.
A Scoilnet account will allow you to upload your resources or weblinks to Scoilnet as well as enabling you to share and add resources to a favourites listing. Users who have a Scoilnet Account will also be able to fully access Scoilnet Maps and Census@School from home.
You need to login before you can add this resource to a Learning PathLogin