After the Plantation of Munster, the Fitzgeralds lost their lands and popularity with the crown.
In 1591, an English family called the Courtnays occupied the ruined castle. Shortly thereafter, they left for England again but not before knocking the top off of the tower. This was rebuilt in the 19th century.
In the early 1900’s the Nash family of Nash’s Minerals set up a cinema in the castle, which burned down in 1960. The government took over the castle and turned it into a popular tourist attraction.