Updated 8 April 2014
It is important to read these Terms and Conditions carefully. These Terms and Conditions may be updated by us from time to time without notice to you. We will post any changes to the Terms and Conditions on this page and we will also indicate at the top of this page the date that these Terms and Conditions were last revised.
If you do not agree to abide by these or any new Terms and Conditions, do not use or access (or continue to use or access) the Scoilnet website or associated websites and services. It is your responsibility to regularly check this page to determine if there have been changes to these Terms and Conditions and to review such changes.
References to External Websites / Content
The Scoilnet website refers or links to external organisations or websites over which Scoilnet has no control and accepts no responsibility. Any references or links on the website to external organisations or websites are provided as a matter of convenience only. They should not be taken as an endorsement of those organisations or their content.
The Scoilnet website contains third party-owned content (e.g., articles, images, data feeds or abstracts) and may also include hypertext links to third party owned websites. We provide such third party content and links as a courtesy to our users. Links are provided for your information only. We have no control over any third party owned websites or content referred to, accessed by or available on this website. To the extent permitted by law, therefore, we do not endorse, sponsor, recommend or otherwise accept any responsibility for such third party websites or content, or for the availability of such websites. In particular, we do not accept any liability arising out of any allegation that any third party owned content (whether published on this, or any other, website) infringes the intellectual property rights of any person, or any liability arising out of any information or opinion contained on such third party website or content.
General Disclaimer, Representations, Warranties and Terms
To the extent permitted by law, Scoilnet and the State, and their respective servants or agents, assume and accept no responsibility for, and give no guarantees, undertakings or warranties concerning, the accuracy, clarity, comprehensiveness, completeness, timeliness, fitness-for-purpose, up-to-date nature, reliability, or otherwise, of the information provided on this website, and do not accept any liability whatsoever in respect of, or arising from, any errors or omissions or any reliance on, or use of, such information.
Whilst we have taken reasonable care in compiling this website, to the extent permitted by law, we accept no responsibility for any loss or damage claimed to arise from any reliance on, or action taken by any person or organisation, wherever they are based, as a result, direct or otherwise, of, information contained in, or accessed through, this website, whether such information is provided by us or by a third party.
Basis of Use
By using this website, you agree that the use of information obtained or downloaded from or through this website is at your sole discretion and risk.
The Scoilnet website and database of resources where you are capable of uploading or posting material are provided for the exchange of lawful, relevant, fair and appropriate information, opinions, materials and comment. You acknowledge that all information, data (including registration data), text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages and other materials ("User-Uploaded Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which such User-Uploaded Content originated. Scoilnet accepts no responsibility for, and does not guarantee, the accuracy, integrity or quality of any User-Uploaded Content placed on our Website by you or any third party.
You acknowledge that by using the Scoilnet website, there is a risk that you may be exposed to User-Uploaded Content that you may find offensive, indecent or objectionable. Please see our Copyright page for details of how to report such User-Uploaded Content.
If you breach these Terms and Conditions, you should be aware that a party aggrieved by the uploading of any content which is, inter alia, defamatory or in breach of copyright, may take action and that this could result in registration data and other data concerning your identity being disclosed and your having to pay compensation to the person or company aggrieved.
You agree to not use the Services to:
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that is unlawful, harmful, objectionable, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise discriminatory;
- harm or attempt to harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Scoilnet staff member, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any User-Uploaded Content transmitted through the Scoilnet website;
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User-Uploaded Content that infringes any patent, trade mark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," prohibited marketing content including (but not limited to) illicit marketing to children or marketing that is otherwise attempting to exploit the vulnerabilities of a child, or any other form of solicitation;
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- interfere with or disrupt the Scoilnet website or servers or networks connected to the Scoilnet website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Scoilnet website;
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable law or regulation;
- collect or store personal data about other users; and/or
- post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means.
You acknowledge that Scoilnet does not moderate or pre-screen User-Uploaded Content that you post on the Scoilnet Website, but that Scoilnet and people designated by it shall have the right (but not the obligation) to monitor uploads made to the Scoilnet website. If Scoilnet determines, in its sole discretion, that you or another user have breached these Terms and Conditions or that any User-Uploaded Content is inappropriate or otherwise objectionable, Scoilnet may refuse to publish or may remove any User-Uploaded Content, without any liability to you or a third party. No failure to remove particular material constitutes an endorsement or acceptance of it by us.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Scoilnet, PDST Technology in Education and its affiliates harmless from and against any and all liability, losses, costs, claims and expenses incurred directly or indirectly (including reasonable legal fees) incurred in connection with or arising out of your violation of these Terms and Conditions, any applicable law or regulation or the rights of any third parties related to the use of the User-Uploaded Content, our website, services and tools. This indemnity includes both any liability to third parties, and other costs and losses incurred by Scoilnet and/or PDST Technology in Education.
Other Scoilnet Sites
Scoilnet is responsible for a number of subject-specific websites and webhosting/blogging services. Among these are Scoilnet Maps, CensusAtSchool, I Am An Artist, ImageBank, Sci-Spy, Science Unleashed. All of these have separate terms and conditions which you should familiarise yourself with if you intend using these services.
A Scoilnet Account is available to all teachers currently registered with the Teaching Council. It allows teachers to access a broad range of services provided by Scoilnet and PDST Technology in Education using one username/password. By registering for a Scoilnet Account, you accept the Scoilnet Accounts Terms and Conditions listed below. Please familiarise yourself with these terms and conditions and if you do not agree with them, you must not register for a Scoilnet Account.
- Registration with Scoilnet Accounts is personal and non-transferrable.
- Upon registration, you will be asked to provide personal data about yourself -- you are obliged to provide accurate and complete information about yourself and ensure your personal data is kept up-to-date within Scoilnet Accounts.
- You can modify personal data you have submitted on the Scoilnet Account Management website at any time yourself.
- There is no expiry date for the personal data you submit on our servers. On request (email@example.com), we will delete your account.
- All personal data saved on our servers is secure.
- We will treat all personal data you provide as confidential and will use it solely for the purpose of authentication and providing access to online services provided by Scoilnet/PDST Technology in Education. The information will only be disclosed as permitted by law or for the purposes listed in our registration with the Data Protection Commissioner (Ref 13590/A).
- We may occasionally share personal data with partners and third parties performing functions on our behalf. These third parties have access to a limited amount of personal information and only that which is needed to perform their functions. They may not use it for any other purpose and we have agreements in place to ensure these partners follow data protection practices at least as protective as our own.
The content of Britannica School Online has been specifically licensed for educational use within Ireland and the Scoilnet website. Users of this online encyclopaedia are bound by the terms and conditions set down by Britannica School Online. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are familiar with the terms and conditions of Britannica School Online.
Scoilnet accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the translations provided on this website.
The courts of Ireland shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any dispute arising from this website.